Bermagui Pre School respects the privacy of the children, families and staff involved with the Pre School. We endeavour to do this by following the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998. The Act acknowledges that particular agencies will have important roles to carry out on behalf of the public that may require these restrictions on personal information to be departed from or modified.
The Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 requires agencies to treat information about known individuals with special care. The Act has requirements in relation to the collection, storage, use and disclosure of such personal information.
To ensure that the right of all children, staff and families to confidentiality is maintained at all times.
Confidentiality is a core element of providing childcare and education. Families and staff who provide personal information to Bermagui Preschool can do so with the understanding that information will only to be available to staff and the licensing body. Should staff be asked to share personal information with other parties, prior consent will be sought.
- Staff and committee members are to be made aware that confidentiality of all matters concerning the centre and its clients must be maintained at all times. Relief staff, students and visitors must be made aware of this.
- The only persons permitted to see the child’s records are the parents or legal guardians, preschool staff, executive committee members (in extreme circumstances – ie. Child protection issues) and the licensing body.
- Each child’s personal file is to be kept in a locked filing cabinet or storeroom at all times. In line with the 2004 children’s services regulations, records shall be kept for 25 years.
- Information about a child’s enrolment or personal details is not to be given to others without written consent from the parent or guardians.
- Parents need to know that information shared with staff members will remain confidential and staff members will be expected to respect and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- The names of children who may have caused injury to other children while at the centre are not to be generally disclosed to parents, or anyone other than staff members at the centre.
- Staff and committee members are not to discuss any financial details of families using the centre with people other than the parent or guardian responsible for paying the child’s fees. Confidentiality also applies to subsidy assessments, fee arrears and any other financial details.
- A child’s enrolment at the centre is not to be confirmed to anyone without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian.